Pages

Saturday, October 29, 2011

1st essay

2011-10-29


Never before I had a post typed in English.

Recently, I have been working hard in my English, trying to improve my essays and score well in my SPM 1119 English subject.  I had a photocopy of model essays from Yih Perng's reference book, just a small part of it. I was appeal to the narrative essays, with many vocabularies used which every single words of them seem bombastic to me. Since then I worked hard to find out each meaning of the vocabularies. Fortunately, I was helped by using  the Online Oxford dictionary and English- Chinese translation software, which is much more convenient than flipping through the thick dictionary. Within two weeks, I had acquaint about 350 vocabularies! Sounds crazy isn't?Now I'm going to try to write a good essay and show you what I've learned.



"Results"

The class fell into hushed silence. Our Math teacher, Mr Looi was going to give back our Calculus exam papers. Everyone was anxious to know their result. I was tormented by nervousness and anxiety at that instant.

As usual, Mr. Looi will call out the names with his trembling voice, alluding that one has failed in that examination. My head started pounding as if there was someone using a large sledgehammer to knock at it. My mind swirled in a confusion of fear as my hands started to turn clammy. I was longing to pass this year-end examination, as I had failed numerous times in my calculus test. In my mid-year examination, I just need 3 more marks to pass calculus.

As i was gauging my chances to pass the examination, my friends are called out one by one. Mr. Looi started from the lowest scored student. My fear and anxiety was further escalated. Shortly after few names, my result was dawned as my name was droned with trembling pitch by Mr. Looi. My gnawing fear was ended, eclipsed by the depths of despair and upset. I was devastated by my result, looking through my papers that are pathetically scored.

I began to berate myself for my carelessness as I was going through my works. I had did umpteen of silly and goofy mistakes that had cost me more than 10 marks! I could have pass this exam easily if I have answered the questions prudently.

I began to reflect on my performance in the examination. Before the exam, I had a whole week to prepare my Calculus. During those days, I was doing those exercises LMH, my math tuition teacher gave earlier. Despite days or nights, I was working hard to solve out every questions and I almost literally tore my hair out! Those questions really agitates my mind and infuriated me when I can't solve that question even though I had spent more than half hour on it.

I was triumphant pleased and satisfied with my preparation, although I didn't have much time to cover the whole syllabus as it is too much for me. I was confidence enough to face the examination. This was just until I faced the paper that, sense of uneasiness had overwhelmed me. After numerous of fails in Calculus tests, it somehow becomes a trauma to me.

I was totally dumbfounded being struck by the first question of the paper, it is such a typical and standard question that I suddenly forgot the formula to solve it. I had practiced that kind of questions many times yet I failed to solve this question in exam. I was demoralized, the feelings of guilt and insecurity were exacerbated with time as I continued to finished the following questions.

Overall, I thought that the papers weren't hard, I did my best to survive in my Calculus. Now that I'm holding my results with anguish, couldn't believe that I was so careless in my exam. Without asking anybody or looking through the notes, I had corrected my answers and puzzled out the questions easily without any doubt on my corrections. Maybe all this while I was feared by the exams. I have to muster all my courage and determination to overcome this obstacle and quell my nervousness when facing exam next time.

In the other hand, some friends have excelled in this exam, scored with distinguish result. Chun Beng was a cut above the rest, scored 95 marks as the highest marks in our class. With his fabulous and excellent result, everyone was sure that he would be awarded the scholarship. He looked calm and collected but I think he had conceal his whoop of delirious joy and euphoria.

I guess I have to work hard and coop myself up in a study room to achieve such a superior result.

1 comment: